IOM plays a crucial role in post-conflict recovery and reconstruction, actively engaging in livelihood development and job creation initiatives. The organization's strength lies in its widespread presence across the country, enabling it to rebuild community infrastructure, deliver vocational and other training programs, provide local-level funding to support business development, and address various other essential areas for recovery.
One of IOM's notable programs is the Enterprise Development Fund (EDF), an innovative initiative that focuses on revitalizing the private sector and promoting economic development in Iraq. The EDF offers financial support to small and medium enterprises (SMEs) operating in primary, secondary, and tertiary economic sectors that face a high demand for labour. By strategically targeting sectors and businesses with significant job creation potential, the EDF aims to facilitate rapid and extensive employment opportunities.
The positions are based in Erbil office, with at least 60% of time spent roving across governorates based on operational needs.
Under general guidance of the Senior Operations Coordinator, the overall supervision of the Programme Coordinator, and the direct supervision of the National Operations Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for assisting programs related to return and recovery within the area of responsibility as below:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Under the guidance of the National EDF Operations Officer and with the technical support of the Senior Community Engagement Assistant, plan and coordinate the implementation of all community engagement activities related to the EDF program for the Transition and Recovery Division (TRD), in accordance with livelihoods technical tools.
- For each open call planned for EDF, draft and operationalize the outreach plan that is specific to the location, market, and type of EDF activities.
- Lead all EDF outreach activities, including stakeholder mapping, market surveys, preparation and revision of leaflets, messages, and banners, information sessions, and referrals, in coordination with the National Communicating with Communities & Accountability officer and the Senior Community Engagement Assistant.
- Coordinate with the relevant government authorities, business associations, and private sector companies, in coordination with the National EDF Operations Office and the field teams, to promote and implement IOM's EDF activities.
- Support the Livelihood Programme Assistants in mapping businesses for each EDF call and coordinate with potential entities, business owners and relevant organizations (NGOs, CSOs, UN agencies and government counterparts) to provide assistance throughout all EDF phases.
- Support the appropriate selection of project beneficiaries by conducting information session, registering, and profiling applicants based on specific criteria.
- Provide support to selected individuals by facilitating orientation meetings (including one-to-one counseling sessions if necessary) and assist them in formulating their business plans.
- Mapg out preferred channels of communication by business owners, use innovative and creative of ways of communication to reach out to relevant business owners.
- Support the design, operation and maintenance of Complaint and Feedback Mechanisms (CFM) for EDF.
- Regularly travel to the registration centres to monitor the outreach and registration processes and verify compliance with the Communicating with Communities (CwC) and livelihoods guidelines. Regularly attend meetings with stakeholders for liaison and promotion of EDF.
- Provide suggestions to National EDF Operations Officer for necessary improvements or changes to the outreach strategy and livelihoods service delivery.
- Monitor progress according to work plans, report achievements and challenges to the Livelihoods Technical Team and Communicating with Communities (CwC) and Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP) team and suggest improvements for livelihoods assistance delivery.
- Collaborate with field staff and the Information Management (IM) unit to maintain accurate and up-to-date beneficiary data in the IOM Portal.
- Conduct awareness session on IOM and EDF accountability channels and how business owners can raise a question or complaint through available channels. Perform any other assigned duties by the supervisor.
- Any other tasks as may be assigned.
- University degree in business, economics or social science from an accredited academic university or
Experience and Skills:
- Minimum 4 years of relevant experience in community engagement, livelihoods and economic recovery programming though a gender point and experience with international organization is an advantage.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills. Ability to present clear and concise information.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds, ability to handle confidential matters.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Fluency in English, Kurdish and Arabic.
- Work prioritization and ability to multitask.
- Shares knowledge and experience.
- Positive, constructive attitude.
- Ability to work and act under pressure with discretion in politically sensitive environment with a minimum of comfort.
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
- Ready to work independently, under tight deadlines.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural team environment with a positive attitude.
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion, and loyalty.
- Strives for supportive working environment and positive working relationship.
- Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment, retaliation, and promotes the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).
While this vacancy is open to both Internals and Externals, priority shall be given to qualified Internal applicants.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via this link:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.